Monday, September 19, 2005

Questions

I was really beat up by Daniels sermon yesterday. I think the hardest part for me is to know what to do with all of my thoughts and feelings. I have always struggled with the worrying about money thing. I know, I know, God will provide, so I shouldn't worry. I understand that. But I don't expect God to provide cable TV, two cars, nice clothes, a computer, cable internet...you get the point. I think that is why I worry and hate hearing the God will provide phrase. He is providing, but we already have so much, so why should we need more? And then what do we do with our knowledge of starving children around the world. Why do I get to have a nice house and two cars and so many others don't even have food and clean water? Should we sell our house and move into a cheaper neighborhood? Should we consolidate into one car? Is it ever OK to go out to dinner at a restaurant? I don't know. What I really hate is knowing the reality of starving children around the world and somehow forgetting it when I see something that I really want. All of a sudden starving children don't matter and having new kitchen flooring is the only thing that could make my life complete. Why are we like this? Anyone who has answers, feel free to let me know.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

Kim- i don't have any answers. I struggle with the exact same thing. I am such a person of extreme...not balance. I think this is a content balance that is hard to find. I will see the picture of the volture and child whenever i go to buy a new shirt to add to my closet full of clothes. i think that is a humble reminder. We need to feel uncomfortable about that. Daniel did it again, didn't he?!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Andrea Wagenmaker said...

I felt the same way yesterday. I left church with a huge lump in my throat, feeling like I had no idea what to do with this new information. Though it is not new information - I have known about starving children around the world forever.
Daniel and I were talking last night about this subject. I just feel like I would love to adopt more children, but not necessarily children from the US. I want to give those starving kids a chance. I want to go to that village and take home all those children who need fresh water and a warm place to live.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home