Friday, September 14, 2007

Why I Want to be a Nurse

The last week and a half, I have had a patient named "Matt". He is a 44 year old Air Force Colonel who graduated from the University of Michigan. He was in Arizona, playing raquetball, when he suddenly went into Cardiac Arrest. He suffered a Brain Injury from prolonged CPR (and lack of oxygen to the brain). He is now in a pre-vegitative state, cognitively impaired and basicly lays in bed all day, unable to speak or move on his own.

After my first day caring for him, I knew he needed some stimulation. Since he can't communicate, I thought it would be a good idea to read to him. I borrowed a book about a Michigan football coach from my father-in-law (but got it from Deb) and planned to read it to him.

In our pre-conference, I told my classmates what my plan was and felt a little silly about it because I didn't know if he could even hear me. But I read. And read and read.

Two days later, I finally met his wife. I was able to spend some time talking to her and found out that she, too, was in the Air Force. She, however, was a graduate from Michigan State =). Anyways, they have two children 12 and 13 and they live in Battle Creek. She is torn between their scheule and spending time with her husband. She talked a lot about him when I was with her. Anyways, when she found out I was reading to him, she started to cry. "Thank you, thank you", she said. "You don't know how much it means to me that someone is spending time like that with him. He really needs that". I almost cried as well.

Although I don't know if the reading has done anything for him, I know that it has made a world of difference to her. That one moment has made all the work and sacrifice of nursing school worth it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

That is an awesome story, Kim. You are going to be an amazing nurse, full of stories like this one. I hope this one has a good ending. . . is there a chance he will gain back movement and speech?

6:55 PM  
Blogger Daniel Rudd said...

hot crap!
kim your blogging?

After 100's of dissapointing visits, I'd given up hope.

glad your back
glad your going to be a nurse
i think you'll be great
i also think you should catheter rob in his sleep.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

great post, kim.

um...september 30th :)

4:55 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Lindsey,
Not sure what the future holds for "Matt". All I want is for him to stand up and walk out of that room, but I just don't know.

Ang,
I can't wait...

6:15 PM  
Blogger aimee marie said...

You already are an awesome nurse, Kim. Hurry up and get that license....we need more like you!!! :)

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home