Thursday, October 18, 2007

Help

So I have had this goal for a few months now. It was to memorize the words to American Pie (the song, not the movie). Yes, I do have some time on my hands while driving back and forth to Grand Rapids. Anyhow, I finally have the words in my head to all eight and a half minutes worth of the song.

There's just one problem.

I still have no idea what the stinking song is about. I know, I know...something about when Buddy Holly died. But what does the rest of it mean? You would think after listening to it hundreds of times, I would have it figured out, but no luck. So if anyone out there has some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate Rudd said...

this song has been in my memory(not verbatim) for at least twenty years. i've never totally understood all the metaphors it contains, but this article lays it out in a way that's pretty close to what I've thought..

http://oldies.about.com/library/weekly/aa082602a.htm

:)
i think it's a great song.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thanks for the web site. I don't feel so bad for not understanding it anymore...seems like everyone has somewhat of a different idea. Anways, it is very interesting!

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it rather pleasing that you are interested in a song from my youth. I may be prejudiced but I think some of the greatest rock and roll came from the late 60's and early 70's.

Katie - Thanks for the website. I had always known some of the references like the King being Elvis, the Queen being Connie Francis, the Jester being Bob Dylan, Helter Skelter and sergeants refering to some Beatles' albums, Satan refering to Mick Jagger & the Stones, and the "Day the Music Died" being when Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, & the Big Bopper died in a plane crash but the "Understanding American Pie" website was really interesting.

Kim - Congratulations on completing your LPN schooling. It was nice running into Rob and Ryan at Meijers the other night.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home